Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget

On September 11, 2011 I was 16 years old. Heather and I were driving to school; we had just started our junior year. The radio was on in the car and I was annoyed that the dee jays were talking about some plane crash instead of playing music. It wasn’t until I reached first period, English that I understood what was going on. The teacher had the tv on and we watched the first tower fall, then she turned it off.


I swear I was the only person in our high school whose teachers would NOT let us watch the news all day. Um, hello, history was happening and they insisted that learning was more important that day. It was all so surreal. At lunch I went home and my parents had the news on. I was at home for all of 10 minutes before I had to leave again.


We went to church that night to pray for our country. I remember the feeling in the sanctuary. It was full of fear and uncertainty, as well as heartache for all those who lost their lives. What was going to happen to our country? The only thing that we could all do was cling to the hope we have in Christ.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33


Sunday, September 16th, my friend Trista and I lead the Bible Study for our youth group. Our topic was fear. I still have the prayer in my Bible that we said that night.

“Dear Lord, Sometime I am afraid, sometimes I am overwhelmed by horror, sometimes I’m just numb about what is going on around me and what the future might hold. Please grant me your peace. Wrap me in your loving arms and let me experience the comfort of your presence—not just so that I can be comforted, but so that I can also be a comfort to those around me. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray. Amen.”


Where were you?

No comments:

Post a Comment