I have been interested in canning for years but have been a bit afraid to try it on my own. I have searched for someone to teach me and have not been able to find a soul that was interested. This year I looked at a video on the Ball websight and decided I could do it myself. Here is the video about how easy it can be (although I think they make it look much easier and less messy).
So here is some interesting things about canning:
- Canning started in 18th century France when Napoleon Bonaparte was looking for a way to keep his army fed and offer a cash prize to anyone who could come up with a reliable method for preserving food.
- The prize was won by Nicholas Appert thought it could be preserved like whine in glass jars.
- The Mason jar was invented in 1858 and had the first reusable screw on lid.
Finally here is my first batch of Pickles hopefully they will be as good as they look.
Do you any of you can? Does anyone have any good recipes or advice for a novice canner?


No comments:
Post a Comment