Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Seen It, Heard It, Read It

Seen It

Love and Other Drugs
I had heard some mixed reviews about this, but with all things I like to decide for myself. I thought it was a good story, but obviously didn't need all the sex. Like seriously, we get the point. But if you cut that out then the movie would only be an hour long, haha.

An Education
I really liked this movie. I think it might have been another one of Heather's great suggestions. It's a story about a girl growing up in London and how her life changes when she meets an older man. I found it to be heartbreaking, but such is life and learning lessons the hard way.

Mean Girls 2
Really I'm 15 and not 25. I thought it was a good sequel. It was nice that it had a different story line than the first, but it slso portrayed some of the same lessons. It was nice to see Meaghan Martin in a role other than a mean girl (re: Camp Rock). Note: Check out the Kind Campaign.

Bandslam
I wasn't sure what to expect (do I say that a lot?), but I really enjoyed this movie. The main character, Will, is an outcast and forms a friendship with a popular girl over their love of music. They put together a group to compete in the local battle of the bands contest. It had a great story and was pretty funny at times.

Never Let Me Go
I say again, didn't know what to expect, but I LOVED this movie! See Heather’s recent blog post about it. To sum it up, like Heather said, it was beautifully tragic. I might have to steal the book from her when she's done reading it. Side note: Andrew Garfield is HOT! ;)

White Oleander
Heather and I watched this on Lifetime [don't judge, haha] back during our sophomore year at SPU. Last weekend when my dad was still out of town Heather and I watched it again with our mom. The relationship between the mother [Ingrid] and daughter [Astrid] was bizarre. It was sad to watch how the mother's decision affected her daughter's entire life. As one review I read said, "while Ingrid's gift is to give Astrid the power to survive, Astrid's gift is to teach her Mother about love."

Red
I added this to our Netflix queue knowing that it would probably be a movie my dad would like, hello Bruce Willis action movie. We watched it last Wednesday night and my whole family loved it. It was a great mix of action and humor and has an interesting story. Mary Louise Parker is gorgeous and added a fun element to the storyline.

Heard It

JJ Heller: When I’m With You
My sweet friend Janelle sent Heather and I this cd and then next one [The Head and The Heart]. I've only listened to it a couple times so far, but I think I love it.

The Head and The Heart
I haven't listened to this as much as JJ Heller, but I'm excited to add it to our epic road trip playlist!

Maroon 5: Hands All Over
More than once in this past week I may have turned this up way too loud and danced around my house. I love it!! I also forced my mom to listen to it once saying, "You know the guy Adam from The Voice? This is his cd." Haha!

Katy Perry: Teenage Dream
Really, what can one say about this cd? I love it! There are so many fun [and funny - re: Peacock] songs. It'd be tough for me to pick a favorite. I mean, Teenage Dream, California Girls, Peacock, ET... I just wish I could see Katy when she's here at the end of July, but tickets are expensive AND it's the same night as Steve Martin. OMG, I sound like such a nerd.

Read It

Bossypants by Tina Fey
Um, what can I really say about this? It's hilarious. I think it can easily be summarized by one of the reviews on the book cover, "Once in a generation a woman comes along who changes everything. Tina Fey is not that woman, but she met that woman once and acted weird around her."

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen
I always have a hard time with books turned movies. They're never going to be the same as each other, which is fine I guess. I usually try to read the book before I see the movie. I loved this story and it got me even more excited to see the movie. Have you seen it yet? I'm probably going to have to wait until it's on dvd. I was very excited to see hear Barcelona's song in the movie trailer!


Isn't it gorgeous?

Sweet Valley Confidential by Francine Pascal
Who else grew up reading Sweet Valley books? I didn't read a ton of them, but I always love a good "twin" story. I kind of want to go back and read them all. I may have a dozen or so on my book shelf. My mom recently told me that she hated when we'd read the books, because there was a "good" twin and an "evil" twin and I would always associate myself as the "evil" twin, haha. I don't remember this at ALL. Anyway, it was kind of fun to read this book from the perspective of ten years later. I had a hard time getting into it because of the infidelity and the fighting, but overall I thought it was a good story.

What have you seen, heard or read lately? Any suggestions for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment