Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas Tradition: Homemade Noodles

Since it's the last day of 2009, I figured I better get in some last blog posts.

I grew up helping my mom make homemade noodles on Christmas Eve. We would have my Dad's family over and have homemade noodles and my dad would de-bone a turkey and cook it in the dutch oven. We no longer celebrate with my dad's family on Christmas Eve, but we do still have that yummy goodness for dinner with them. I love making noodles with Mom and Heather. Mom always talks about how her Grandma would always make noodles. They'd go over to her house and there would be noodles drying on every flat surface in the house.

Here's the recipe and some pictures from our noodle making day. I've posted the recipe below. We usually mix a double batch in one bowl and roll out two noodles. One noodle makes two hearty servings. For our Christmas Eve we made 20 noodles and had plenty of leftovers.

To cook the noodles you put them in boiling chicken broth. You'll need at least a quart of broth for two noodles, but may need to add more broth. Cook for 20 minutes or until done.



Start with at least two scoops of flour. You'll most likely need to add more, don't want it too sticky.


Flour the surface and roll out the dough.



Place the noodles on wax paper and let them dry for 4-6 hours (flip noodles over half way through to help them dry.

Beware of cats. Kitty footprints in noodles are not uncommon at our house.



Cut the noodle into wide strips.

Then cut layer the strips and cut into small noodles.




No comments:

Post a Comment